all towns are one, all men our kin.
|Home||Whats New||Trans State Nation||One World||Unfolding Consciousness||Comments||Search|
Home >Tamils: a Trans State Nation > Struggle for Tamil Eelam > Conflict Resolution: Tamil Eelam - Sri Lanka > Bandaranaike - Chelvanayakam Pact, 1957 >Dudley Senanayake - Chelvanayakam Agreement, 1965 > District Councils, 1968 > District Development Councils, 1979 > Annexure "C" Proposals, 1983> All Party Conference, 1983/84 >Thimpu Talks, 1985 > Indo Sri Lanka Working Paper, 1985 > "December 19th Proposals", 1986 > Exchange of Letters between India & Sri Lanka, 1987 > Indo Sri Lanka Agreement, 1987 > Minutes of Dixit - LTTE Meeting, 28 September 1987 > 13th Amendment to Sri Lanka Constitution - Devolution or Comic Opera?, 1988 > Sri Lanka/LTTE Talks 1989/90 > Select Committee - Interim Report,1992 > Chandrika - LTTE Talks: 1994/95 > Chandrika's 'Devolution' Proposals:1995/2001 > Norwegian Conflict Resolution Initiative - 2001 todate.
Minutes of Dixit - LTTE Meeting
28 September 1987
Agreed Minutes of Discussions held between His Excellency, The High
1. A list of those present is at Annexure attached.
2. The High Commissioner informed Mr V Pirabhakaran that President Jayawardene has agreed to establish an Interim Administrative Council for the Northern and Eastern provinces, as per the following composition:-
( a) Chief Administrator/Administrator in Council – One of the three persons included in the list submitted by the LTTE to be appointed.
(i) LTTE — 5
(ii) TULF — 2
(iii) Muslims — 2 (to include one nominee of LTTE)
(iv) Sinhalese — 2
Total — 12
3. Mr Pirabhakaran agreed to the composition of the Interim Administrative Council as indicated above.
4. The High Commissioner Shri JN Dixit informed Mr V Pirabhakaran that President Jayawardene had agreed to delegate his executive powers, as envisaged in paras 10.1 and 10.2 of the Bangalore proposals to the Administrator in Council during the interim period ie, till elections to the provincial councils are held.
5. The Administrator in Council would accordingly be responsible for the maintenance of Law and Order and other responsibilities as outlined in the relevant paragraphs.
6. It was agreed that the establishment of an Interim Administration would facilitate the fulfilment of the five demands put forward by the LTTE in its resolution conveyed on 13 Sep 87 to the High Commissioner.
7. Mr Pirabhakaran said that the LTTE would fully cooperate in the implementation of the Indo-Sri Lanka agreement subject to assurances given to him by the Prime Minister of India in July 1987.
8. Mr Pirabhakaran said that the LTTE would surrender the remaining arms ie, other than the personal arms for the security of their leaders once condition of security for their leaders and cadres are created.
9. Mr Pirabhakaran agreed that the LTTE will cooperate fully and ensure smooth functioning of all aspects of the civil administration, including the functioning of the police force.
10. Mr Pirabhakaran agreed that free and fair elections to the provincial council will be held and that the LTTE will cooperate fully in the process.
11. High Commissioner Shri Dixit and Mr Pirabhakaran agreed that the LTTE and the Indian Official media would desist from mutual criticism.
12. In view of agreement having been reached on Paras 2 to 11 above, the Sri Lanka Government will announce the establishment of the Interim Administrative Council within 48 hours of the signing of the Agreed Minutes.
13. It was also agreed that the Governments of India and Sri Lanka will formally announce the salient points of the above agreement.
14. Upon this being done, the LTTE would make an announcement about the withdrawal of its agitation and fasting unto death campaigns.
Signed (Ms PURI ) (K MAHENDRA RAJA)
Signed DY Leader LTTE
HIGH COMMISSION OF INDIA COLOMBO
28 September 1987