Tamil Culture - the
Heart of Tamil National Consciousness
> Tamil Cuisine >
Breakfast Dishes - Idli
TAMIL CUISINE -
Idli - Ittali
Recipes of the Jaffna Tamils - Edited by Nesa Eliezer, Compiled
by Rani Thangarajah
2 cups parboiled rice
1/2 cup split black gram (urad dal)
1/2 tsp salt
1. Soak rice and black gram separately for 4-6 hours.
2. Drain. Grind (fine) rice and black gram separately.
3. Mix the two and add salt. Allow to ferment for 12
4. Grease the idli mould with a little oil. Pour a small
ladleful into each mould and steam for about 12-15 minutes.
5. Remove from moulds onto a dish. Serve hot.
6. Re-grease the mould and steam the next batch of