1/2 cup split black gram (urad dal)
1/2 cup red gram
1/2 cup chickpeas
1 cup grated coconut
2 cups parboiled rice
6 green chillies, chopped
10 dried red chillies, broken into small pieces
1 sprig curry leaves
A small piece of asafoetida soaked in a little warm
water (or 1/4 tsp powdered asafoetida)
tbsp ghee or gin gelly oil
1. Soak black gram, red gram and chickpeas for at least
2. Grind all three together.
3. Add coconut and grind again.
4. Add the remaining ingredients except ghee/oil. Mix
5. Form small balls, the size of limes or ping-pong
balls, and place on small squares of greaseproof paper or on
an oiled piece of banana leaf. Press to form a little flat
6. Heat a skillet or heavy non-stick pan, greased with a
7. Cook the 'pancakes' one at a time, perforating each
with the edge of the cooking spatula to cook thoroughly.
Turn over. Dribble a few drops of ghee/oil and turn over
8. Remove and serve warm.