Tamils - a Trans State Nation..

"To us all towns are one, all men our kin.
Life's good comes not from others' gift, nor ill
Man's pains and pains' relief are from within.
Thus have we seen in visions of the wise !."
Tamil Poem in Purananuru, circa 500 B.C 

Home Whats New  Trans State Nation  One World Unfolding Consciousness Comments Search

Jain Commission Interim Report

Growth of Sri Lankan Tamil Militancy in Tamil Nadu
Chapter II -
Phase III (1989 - May l991)

Sections 35 to 39

35. Activities of Sri Lankan militants in Tamil Nadu - July- November 1990 | 36. Wireless network of LTTE in Tamil Nadu | 37. Meetings between M Karunanidhi and LTTE emissaries | 38. Kasi Anandan and IB reports | 39. Treatment of injured cadres in Tamil Nadu

Activities of Sri Lankan Militants in Tamil Nadu:
July -November, 1990

59 Several instances indicating continuous activities of the Sri Lankan Tamil militants, predominantly the LTTE in Tamil Nadu during the period July - November, 1990, came to notice. These included smuggling activities as well as other crimes.


59.1 As per the records of Tamil Nadu Government, (Ann. c-a of affidavit no. 214/94-JCI) the following cases of smuggling are seen to have been reported during the period :-

i. In three incidents in Ramanathapuram, during 24th. August, 1990 to 31st. August, 1990, several seizures were made which included a large number of gelatine sticks, detonators, boat engines, large quantity of diesel as well as other items.

ii. During 7th and 8th September, 1990, the Naval authorities seized 12 boats of Sri Lankan origin and apprehended several Sri Lankans found in Indian waters.

iii. On 4th September, 1990, in a joint operation by Customs and local police at Ramnad, one smuggler was arrested with gold ingots and electronic items.

iv.On 11th September, large quantity of diesel and petrol was seized at Rameswaram which was in the process of being smuggled to Sri Lanka.

v. Two TELO cadres were arrested in possession of one AK-47 rifle and 56 rounds of ammunition on 20th September, 1990 at Rameswaram.

59.1.1 A general trend of the smuggling activities in the coastal belt of Tamil Nadu is seen by the information provided by the Indian Coast Guard in their affidavit no. 106/93 - JCI of P.Carneiro. As per this affidavit :-

4. Seizures :

The details of seizures made by CG ships along Tamilnadu coast from 1984 onwards are as follows:-

a) The contraband worth Rs. 9.550077 crores has been apprehended by CG Ships on patrol along Tamilnadu coast since 1984. The details are as follows:-

Year Value of seizure (Rs. in crores)

1984 0.428200

1985 1.054700

1986 0.120500

1987 0.000000

1988 0.002540

1989 5.552600

1990 0.031537

1991 2.360000

8. Vulnerable Smuggling Points :

The following are the suspected vulnerable points along the Tamilnadu coast

i) Karaikal

ii) Mandapam

iii) Vedaranyam

iv) Pudupattinam

v) Vilunthanavadi

vi) Velanganni

vii) Point Calimere

viii) Nagapattinam

11. Nature of Boats used : The nature of boats used by LTTE militants are generally fibre glass boats fitted with powerful Out Boat Motors". A few such boats have been apprehended in Palk Bay by Coast Guard/Navy/Police.

The above information furnished by the Coast Guard discloses the continuous nature of smuggling activities between the Tamil Nadu and Sri Lankan coastline.

The Coast Guard has conducted a record number of seizures exceeding Rs. 5 crores during 1989. This information, however, is a mere indicator of the smuggling activities since the Coast Guard operations are limited in their nature due to their scarce resources. What becomes clear from the information is that at no point of time can it be said that the smuggling activities of the Sri Lankan Tamils had ceased.

Wireless Network of the LTTE in Tamil Nadu

59.2 It appears that the LTTE continued to maintain its extensive wireless network in Tamil Nadu even after the assassination of Padmanabha. There were reports that the LTTE cadres operating from Tamil Nadu were freely using wireless communications for keeping in touch with LTTE leaders in Jaffna.

Correspondence furnished by the Government of Tamil Nadu in Annexure C (e) of the affidavit no. 214/94- JCI, gives the details of the sequence of events with regard to the efforts taken to detect the wireless sets operated by the LTTE.

The correspondence discloses that the Commander, Coast Guard Region (E) wrote to the Tamil Nadu Government on 12 July, 1990, that the LTTE was jamming the wireless transmissions of an oil rig vessel located near Cuddalore.

Consequent to this complaint, action was initiated by the State Police to locate the wireless sets; however, the field check could not detect any wireless sets.

It appears that a mobile monitoring was also undertaken by the staff of Southern Regional Headquarters of the Monitoring Organisation, Madras with the assistance of the local police. The mobile monitoring exercise was done with direction finders, especially in the areas surrounding Cuddalore, Vedaranyam, Pattukottai, Thanjavur and Tiruchirapalli during the period 16.7.1990 to 23.7.1990. However, no LTTE transmission could be detected or intercepted.

The results of the exercise were inconclusive. It was, therefore, suggested by Shri Jaffar Ali, DIG TN CID (Intelligence) that a long term operation of about a month be undertaken in order to arrive at definite conclusions.

The Government of India was requested to permit a long term operation. The Ministry of Home Affairs, on 16th August, 1990, issued a no objection for the exercise. However, the exercise could not be carried out because of paucity of resources with the Ministry of Communications, who, while offering to render all possible assistance, pointed out, in their letter dated 4th January, 1991 that :-

"This process has, however, several limitations. It can essentially serve the purpose of supplementing the main efforts of the State Police and Intelligence Agencies ... It is mainly for the State Government authorities to make optimum use of our assistance by effective local coordination."

The approach of the State Administration appears to be to depend entirely on the wireless monitoring to locate and detect LTTE transmission sets.

It is obvious that this system of detection has severe limitations and cannot possibly substitute the information which can be obtained through collection of field level intelligence by the local agencies. No evidence has been made available by the State Government authorities which would indicate substantial and concrete steps taken by the local police / intelligence to undertake a ground level field exercise to detect the LTTE wireless network.

The State Government has repeatedly brought this fact to the notice of the Commission in order to emphasise that even the Central Government organisations could not detect any wireless transmissions.

Shri M.M. Rajendran, the then Chief Secretary of the State, in his affidavit no. 126/93-JCI, has submitted in this regard :-

(Para 16) "The Director General of Police had brought to the notice of the Government a suspicion that Sri Lankan Tamil militants were operating wireless communication sets between India and Sri Lanka and requested ... the help of International Monitoring Station .... to locate the place of operation....... The International Monitoring Station was, however, not able to detect any operation by the militants during their monitoring. The Government of India was however requested by the State Government to continue monitoring on a long term basis, as the State Intelligence had been able to detect some clandestine transmissions but could not locate the place from which transmissions took place in the absence of direction finders. The Government of India, however, expressed the 'considerable limitations' it had in locating clandestine transmitters."

The fact of the existence of wireless communication by the LTTE from Tamil Nadu to Sri Lanka during this period is undeniable as a large number of wireless intercepts of the LTTE - both coded and decoded - pertaining to this period have been produced before the Commission by the Intelligence Bureau as well as the Naval authorities.

59.3 Information provided by the Intelligence Bureau, which finds a place in their contemporaneous reports of SIB, Madras, indicates a strong political connivance with the LTTE. The Intelligence reports suggest that the important LTTE cadres and wireless operators were warned in advance by DMK MP Shri V. Gopalaswamy about the imminent exercise to detect their wireless sets; the LTTE cadres were, as per these reports, also told to temporarily suspend their wireless operations. The concerned reports are reproduced below :- Annexure M-63 (xviii)

(A-REPORT NO. 29, DATED JULY 6, 1990)

"........V. Gopalaswamy (MP) has cautioned LTTE elements in Madras against using wireless sets for communication. He indicated to them that he had information available with him indicating that a 'Central team' has come to Madras with the necessary equipments to detect the locations of LTTE W/T Stations."

(Fax/Computer msg no.289/90 dated 6.7.1990 from JD/SZ to D.I.B.)(Annexure M-85)

2. The LTTE wireless operator Dixon is reported to have been cautioned like-wise by a contact in the `Q' Branch CID and he had consulted the Control Station (14) in `Land' as to whether he should close down his station. However, he had been advised to continue operations.

3. Kiruban, now holding charge of the LTTE set-up in Tamil Nadu, had also directed Dixon to remain on- air. He had instructed Dixon to use the 'small arm', if need be, and stall any move to seize the set. Kiruban is reported to have observed that there was no use in staying in Tamil Nadu without having the wireless facility. At the same time, Kiruban suggested that with the approval of 'Land', the wireless station at Madras might be shifted to Salem.

The above contemporaneous report of the Intelligence Bureau (Annexure M-85) is a categorical indication of the nexus of the LTTE with powerful DMK leaders.

The report also indicates that while important wireless sets of the LTTE were actually operating from Madras itself, the mobile monitoring team had only conducted a week long operation on the southern coastline of the State.

The report also discloses that some elements in the State Intelligence 'Q' Branch were also conniving with the LTTE.

Meeting Between M. Karunanidhi and LTTE Emissaries

60 In June, 1990, fresh hostilities broke out between the LTTE and the Sri Lankan Armed Forces. The hostilities escalated by July, 1990, and the situation in Jaffna peninsula gradually worsened. The fighting went on unabated. In order to sustain the battle, the immediate requirements of the LTTE were procurement of sophisticated weapons and provision of medical aid to their cadres injured in battle.

Reports indicate that important LTTE cadres based in Madras came into regular contact with Shri M. Karunanidhi after the assassination of Padmanabha to ensure that the unhindered activities of the LTTE were not jeopardised due to police action after the Padmanabha assassination.

During this period, there is also evidence that the LTTE attempted to procure weapons, including missiles, from the Government of India to sustain their military campaign in Jaffna peninsula. The LTTE also sought medical assistance from the Government of India.

It is, indeed, a telling commentary on the confidence of the LTTE who, inspite of the Padmanabha killing, appeared hopeful that a positive response could be forthcoming from the Indian Government as well as the State Government.


IB Reports Nos 18 dated 28.06.90 and Report No 20 dated 28.6.90 (Annexure M-63 (x);(xi)) ) available to the Commission disclose the following sequence of events with regard to meetings between Shri M. Karunanidhi and LTTE emissaries :-

i) One Natesan, an LTTE emissary met Shri M. Karunanidhi on 26th. June, 1990. Shri Karunanidhi desired that the LTTE should provide him advance information regarding their movements so that he could ensure that the movements were unhindered. It is reported that Shri Karunanidhi endorsed the assassination of Padmanabha since he perceived Padmanabha as a betrayer deserving to be liquidated; however, he was unhappy that the assassination was committed in Madras since it had caused him embarrassment of having to pay homage to a betrayer. He also branded the former North East Council Chief Minister Varadharaja Perumal as a betrayer who deserved to be liquidated as well. He, however, reiterated the need to be kept informed in advance before such missions are undertaken, so that he could take necessary counter measures.

Karunanidhi, in this meeting also indicated his willingness to offer necessary aid to the injured LTTE cadres coming to Tamil Nadu for treatment. He also offered to keep certain routes clear for their movement to and fro. He also assured Natesan, that the recent State Government notification calling for registration of all Sri Lankans in Tamil Nadu would not be made applicable to LTTE cadres staying in Tamil Nadu.

Intelligence reports indicate that an LTTE boat had started from Jaffna for Tamil Nadu bringing one important LTTE leader, Kiruban, who was reportedly carrying personal letters from V. Prabhakaran to the Tamil Nadu Chief Minister and Prime Minister.(DIB UO No 1/14/90(11) dated 2.7.90.(Annexure M-86)

It has been reported in the Report No 12 dated 28.6.90 that during the meeting, Kasi Anandan, another LTTE emissary of Prabhakaran and V.Gopalaswamy were also present. In the course of the meeting Natesan indicated that a LTTE boat carrying a personal message from Prabhakaran to the Chief Minister and the Prime Minister is to arrive on June 28. He requested safe passage for the boat. While agreeing to do the needful, Karunanidhi advised Natesan to personally proceed to Delhi to hand over Prabhakaran's letter to the Prime Minister.

He also indicated that to ensure unhindered movement of injured cadres, he would order closure of police check posts along the coast for some time. He pointed out that while the ruling party at the Centre posed no problems in his efforts to aid the LTTE cause, the pressure and criticism by other opposition parties forced him to order a tightening up.(Annexure M-63(xi))

Natesan communicated to Shri Karunanidhi that Prabhakaran had sought Karunanidhi's assistance in this final battle, so that, history would say that Tamil Eelam was achieved during the stewardship of CM Karunanidhi. He also sought missiles to counter the Sri Lankan aerial attacks. Karunanidhi assured him that he would take up their cause with Delhi. Shri M. Karunanidhi also arranged for payment of Rs. 4 lakhs to the LTTE immediately to tide over the financial crisis.

ii) Natesan again met Shri Karunanidhi on 2nd. July. He expressed happiness for having received the personal letter from Prabhakaran. Shri Karunanidhi said that he had consulted the Union Railway Minister also, and suggested to Natesan to obtain another letter for the Prime Minister specifying requirements. Shri Karunanidhi also said that he was planning to send a letter to the Prime Minister strongly recommending the supply of arms and ammunition to the LTTE. (IB Report No 26 dated 4.7.90) Annexure M-63(xvi)

Evidence indicates that a fresh letter was prepared by the LTTE for the Prime Minister. A copy of the draft of the letter of V. Prabhakaran intended to be sent to the Prime Minister appears to have been obtained by the S.I.B., Madras and sent to I.B. Headquarters by the then Joint Director, Shri N.V. Vathsan (Annexure M-139).(Lr.No 16-D/SZX/90 dated 9.7.90 of JD SIB Madras to IB hqrs.)

iii) Natesan, accompanied V.Gopalaswamy, met the Shri M. Karunanidhi again on 22nd July. He handed over to him a communication from Prabhakaran. Shri Karunanidhi disclosed that he had discussed with Prime Minister V.P.Singh, the LTTE requirements. Shri M.Karunanidhi advised Natesan to proceed to Delhi accompanied by V.Gopalaswamy (MP) to meet George Fernandes and discuss with him details of the list given by Prabhakaran.(Annexure M-63 (xvi) & (xix)( IB Report No 26 dated 4.7.90 and Report No 31 dated 23.7.1990.)

iv) Natesan, accompanied by V.Gopalaswamy, visited Delhi and met the Union Minister George Fernandes and handed over to him the list of arms/equipment required by the LTTE. It is learnt that the Union Minister subsequently apprised the Prime Minister and the Minister for External Affairs. (Annexure M- 63(xx) (IB Report No32 dated 29.7.90)

v) IB reports point out that another very important LTTE emissary, Kasi Anandan, met Shri Karunanidhi on several occasions during the year 1990 . As per the intelligence reports of the period, apart from the meetings in June, 1990, significant meetings between them took place during September, 1990 and December, 1990.

Shri M. Karunanidhi met Kasi Anandan twice on 1st. September. Home Secretary Nagarajan was also present during the second meeting. The question of paucity of finances for the LTTE came up for discussion. Karunanidhi suggested to Kasi Anandan to float a rehabilitation organisation with himself and Natesan as office bearers. He pointed out that this would facilitate him to siphon Government funds in the name of rendering relief to an apolitical rehabilitation organisation. He observed that such channelisation of funds would pose no problems to the State Government. He also suggested naming the organisation as Relief Association for Affected Sri Lankan Tamils. (Annexure M-63 (xxii) (IB Report No 36 dated 3.9.90)

vi) Available evidence indicates that another meeting between Kasi Anandan and Karunanidhi was held in December, 1990. This was the period when the Government headed by Shri V.P. Singh at the Centre had fallen and the new Government headed by Chandrashekhar and supported by the Congress (I) had come to power.

As per this information, during the meeting, Shri Karunanidhi told Kasi Anandan that the DMK was likely to be dismissed in a week or two for allegedly supporting the LTTE. He further said that while the former Prime Minister, VP Singh had permitted the State Government to go to the aid of the LTTE, the present Government demanded action against the LTTE cadres failing which direct action by the Centre was contemplated. Under these circumstances, Shri Karunanidhi suggested that Kasi Anandan, along with Sachithanandam of LTTE may seek a meeting with the Prime Minister directly for any further help. (Annexure M-63 (xxvii)(IB Report No 45 dated 12.12.90)

60.1 It appears from the intelligence inputs of the period that LTTE emissaries Kasi Anandan and Natesan had several other meetings with Shri Karunanidhi as well. It is also seen that these emissaries were not the only ones who were interacting with the Government of Tamil Nadu. There appear to be several key LTTE operatives based in Tamil Nadu, who were in regular contact with the political leaders of the DMK as well as some key authorities of the State Administration. There are also references of a senior LTTE operative, Baby @ Subramaniam, who was based in Madras, meeting Shri M. Karunanidhi as well as his Home Secretary, Shri R. Nagarajan. According to Kasi Anandan, Baby Subramaniam was a political wing member of the LTTE and was also involved in fund raising for LTTE in Tamil Nadu.

Intelligence reports of the period speak about regular contacts between Shri Karunanidhi and LTTE leaders both personally as well as through telephone. During August - December, 1990, the reports (Annexures M-87; M-88 and M-89) speak about the following interactions :-

i) Kittu, LTTE leader, contacted Karunanidhi over phone from London on August 20, 1990 seeking among other things, continued facilities for unhindered arrival of injured cadres and also an appointment for Natesan with him. Natesan, reportedly, met Shri Karunanidhi the very next day, on August 21; Shri Karunanidhi, apparently, permitted the LTTE to carry out their clandestine boat movement at Rameswaram also besides Vedaranyam coast.

ii) Kasi Anandan met Shri Karunanidhi on 28th August, 1990, and handed over a copy of the list received by him from Jaffna including items required to be procured urgently for fabricating mortars and mines. Kasi Anandan once again met Shri Karunanidhi on 1st. September, 1990.iii) Kasi Anandan and Ajith of LTTE met Shri Karunanidhi at his residence on October 14, 1990 in the company of V. Gopalaswamy, DMK MP. He again met the Chief Minister on 24th November, in connection with the release of three detained cadres and following it up by a meeting with the Home Secretary of the State on November 25th.

iv) Sachidanandam, LTTE sympathiser met Shri Karunanidhi on 19th December, 1990, with regard to arrests of LTTE cadres. The Chief Minister, reportedly, informed him that the Centre had given directions to deport all the Sri Lankan militants including those who were not yet arrested and that he had firmly replied that he would not do so. Shri Karunanidhi also disclosed that the second phase of action would be taken by the Centre directly and asked the LTTE cadres to be more cautious in future. (Annexure M- 63(xxix) (IB Report No 46 dated 21.12.90)

The nexus between the then Central Government, State Government and the LTTE is best summed up in the words of Kasi Anandan, who, during his deposition before the Commission on 11th September, 1990, stated that :-

".....During Chandrashekhar's Govt. there was change in the attitude of Karunanidhi towards LTTE. There were accusations against Karunanidhi that he was having links with the LTTE at that time. When V.P. Singh was the P.M. and Karunanidhi was the C.M., movement of LTTE in Tamil Nadu was more free. Local Administration was also friendly in Tamil Nadu....... LTTE was able to communicate from Jaffna to Tamil Nadu, when V.P. Singh Govt. was in Centre and Karunanidhi Govt. was in Tamil Nadu..."

60.2 Let us examine as to what is the evidence available which would corroborate the above events narrated in the contemporaneous field reports of the I.B.

Shri M. Karunanidhi, during his deposition was specifically questioned with regard to his meeting with Natesan. He has flatly denied the meetings. During his deposition dated 23rd. November, 1996, he stated that "I have not met Natesan".

During his deposition on 21st. February, 1997, Shri Karunanidhi stated :-

"Natesan did not meet me on 27.7.1990. Gopalaswamy met me in 1990. He was in the Party so he was meeting me. I do not know whether he met me on 22.7.1990. I did not tell Gopalaswamy that he will convey to the Prime Minister the fulfillment of LTTE's requirements."

However, Shri V.P. Singh, the then Prime Minister of India, while denying that he had received any letter from V. Prabhakaran, admitted during his deposition that the LTTE had approached the Central Government through V. Gopalaswamy to make a request for procurement of arms. This request, however, was denied by the then External Affairs Minister of India, Shri I.K. Gujral. Shri V.P. Singh stated :-

Deposition of Shri V.P.Singh on 16-11-1996

"I don't remember having received any letter from Prabhakaran regarding support to him of arms by the Govt of India."

Deposition dt. 18-11-1996

"I checked up with Mr. I.K.Gujral regarding any request made to him by Shri V. Gopalaswamy. He told me that he had approached him for the assistance of arms and medical help to LTTE by the Govt. of India. Mr.Gujral told me that he flatly refused that this was not possible at all. However, if international organisation like the Red Cross on humanitarian grounds approaches the Govt. of India for medical assistance, then perhaps we might consider something. But there is no question of giving any direct assistance. He further told me that as he had refused the request, he did not think it proper to bring the matter to me."

The above deposition of Shri V.P. Singh clearly brings out that the LTTE was, in fact, attempting to lobby with the Central Government for procurement of arms and treatment of injured cadres in India. It appears that the Central Government leadership, at this stage, was not amenable to the assistance as far as the arms were concerned. However, it appears that as regards medical assistance, the Central Government had a more open view. They were willing to work out some arrangement by which medical assistance could be extended through the International Red Cross or any other similar body. In their campaign for seeking assistance from the Centre, it is clear, that the LTTE was using the DMK leadership of Tamil Nadu. Shri V. Gopalaswamy was championing their cause unabashedly and was in contact with both Shri Karunanidhi as well as the Central Government leadership in this regard.

Credibility of the contemporaneous field reports of the I.B. gets strengthened by the fact that they fully reflect the version of Shri V.P. Singh. The I.B. report no. 33, dated July, 1990, inter alia, states :-

"...................Natesan the LTTE emissary has been briefed by V.Gopalaswamy (MP) on the developments in Delhi in relation to the LTTE. Gopalaswamy has indicated to Natesan that the Central Government was not inclined to trust the LTTE or supply arms and ammunition sought by it. He also apprised him of the deliberations of the Consultative Committee on External Affairs held on July 30, when the LTTE issue came up for discussion. ....He also appraised Natesan of his meetings with the Union Railway Minister and the External Affairs Minister. During his talks with the above mentioned Ministers, Gopalaswamy gained an impression that medical supplies to the suffering Tamils would be forthcoming, though the routing of the same either through the ICRC or directly to the refugees was yet to be finalised." (Annexure M-63 (xx)

Shri Karunanidhi, when confronted with the above facts, during his deposition before the Commission, stated that :-

Deposition of Shri M. Karunanidhi dt 23.11.96

"I met Kasi Anandan before the massacre of Padmanabha. After his murder I did not meet him. He used to meet me with an appeal to find a solution to the Sri Lankan problem. I deny the statement in the speech that 7 days after the Padmanabha massacre, a sum of Rs 4 lakhs was paid by the DMK to the LTTE."

However, during his deposition before the Commission, on 21st February, 1997, Shri Karunanidhi gave a slightly different version :-

"Kasi Anandan met me but not in the presence of Gopalaswamy. I do not remember when he met me in June, 1990. I do not remember whether he met me twice after a gap of 2-3 days. He did not meet me as an emissary of V. Prabhakaran. He did not bring me any letter for the Prime Minister....."

"I did not suggest for the setting up of any rehabilitation organisation for Sri Lankan Tamils in Tamil Nadu so that I could provide Govt. funds to him."

(Deposition of Shri.M.Karunanidhi dt. 21.02.97.)

"I do not remember whether Kasi Anandan met me in December, 1990. It is all imagination that I told Kasi Anandan that Central Govt. is there and we are under threat of dismissal. Hence we have to take some sensible action against the LTTE."

Shri M. Karunanidhi, by his above deposition and during the subsequent arguments put forth by the DMK party before the Commission, appears to suggest that the I.B. reports were not based on authentic information, were concocted and motivated. However, during his deposition before the Commission, he admitted that he had no grouse against the S.I.B. unit of Madras :-

(Deposition of Shri.M.Karunanidhi dt. 21.02.97.)

"I do not remember who was the Head of S.I.B. in Madras when I was Chief Minister. I did not have any differences with I.B. establishment at Madras. The S.I.B. Madras could have discharged their duties in accordance with the law. I do not remember any particular incident when I had any grouse against them."

Kasi Anandan and IB Reports

60.3 Shri Kasi Anandan, an LTTE leader and a Member of the Central Committee of the Political Front of Liberation Tigers, and presently residing in Madras, has testified facts which get corroboration from the I.B. reports. The testimony of Shri M. Karunanidhi on several aspects is also required to be judged in the light of the statement of Shri Kasi Anandan. (Annexure M-90)(Fax message 622/91 of JD SIB Madras to IB Hqrs dated 08.07.91.)

I may first see how his statement gets corroboration from the IB reports enhancing their assessment value.

Shri Kasi Anandan was interrogated on 7.7.1991 at the S.I.T. Office. In his interrogation, he stated that he came to India along with Natesan in June 1990 to lobby for political support with the National Front Government at the Centre and the DMK Government in Tamil Nadu. The two met the then Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Shri M. Karunanidhi and Natesan went to Delhi also. Shri Karunanidhi lent a sympathetic ear and agreed to help the LTTE in treating its injured cadres in Tamil Nadu and he directed Mr. R. Nagarajan to render assistance to the LTTE vehicles for unhindered run in the State. Kasi Anandan used to inform Mr. Nagarajan the numbers of the LTTE vehicles operating in the coastal areas for necessary clearance from the police check-posts.

When the new Central Government came in power, Shri Karunanidhi informed Kasi Anandan in the last week of January 1991 after the arrest of 12 cadres in Arasankarai and Embel on January 25-26, 1991. Shri Karunanidhi took exception to the ways LTTE was creating a precipitated situation that was endangering his Government. Kasi Anandan tried to establish contacts with Shri Chandra Shekhar Government. He visited Kanchi Acharya to seek his good offices. Acharya advised Kasi Anandan to meet one Mr. Moti, living somewhere in Egmore and a close friend of Dr. Subramanian Swamy.

But as Balasingham had dubbed Dr. Subramanian Swamy as an agent of America, Moti, however, was unhelpful as he put forth the condition that LTTE should expel Balasingham. Kasi Anandan was in touch with Kittu in London over telephone. Kasi Anandan had a meeting with Ms. Malini Parthasarathy of The Hindu and she suggested to Kasi Anandan to have an interview with Shri Rajiv Gandhi.

Kasi Anandan got in touch with Kittu in London to seek LTTE Supremo's permission for meeting Shri Rajiv Gandhi. Kittu okayed the move after a week. Kasi Anandan again approached Ms. Malini Parthasarathy for arranging his meeting with Shri Rajiv Gandhi. Ms. Malini Parthasarathy arranged the meeting for 5th March, 1991 with the help of Mr. V. George. Kasi Anandan left for Delhi on 4.3.1991 along with one Sachidanandam, proprietor of Kanthalingam Printing Press, a Sri Lankan Tamil and supporter of the LTTE. At Delhi, they stayed at Ashok Yatri Niwas and met Rajiv Gandhi at his residence on 5.3.1991. He also handed over a letter to Rajiv Gandhi in this regard. Kasi Anandan conveyed the message to Kittu in London.

In his statement before the Commission, Kasi Anandan had deposed that along with him one Natesan had also come from Jaffna (Velvettithurai). He was a Member of the LTTE and both of them met Shri M. Karunanidhi. He had met several times alone and once or twice with Natesan. Both of them met Shri Karunanidhi more than once. He had also deposed that Natesan had brought two letters which were in closed envelopes, but he disclosed the contents that there was a request for help from the Government for the LTTE. One letter was for Shri Karunanidhi and the other letter was for Shri V.P. Singh, both from Prabhakaran. He handed over both the letters to Shri Karunanidhi and Shri Karunanidhi was to forward the letter to Shri V.P. Singh. Shri Karunanidhi expressed that he did his best in reviving the relations between the Government and the LTTE.

Kasi Anandan deposed that he met Malini Parthasarathy. As he wanted to meet Shri Chandra Shekhar, he met Jayendra Saraswati of Kanchi and requested for making arrangements for his meeting Shri Chandra Shekhar. He told him to meet Mr. Modi in Madras. He repeated the same version of Moti when he again met Malini Parthasarathy, she suggested for meeting Rajiv Gandhi. Thereafter he sought permission of LTTE Supremo to meet Rajiv Gandhi through Kittu and met Rajiv Gandhi on 5.3.1991.

Ms. Parthasarathy arranged for his meeting with Rajiv Gandhi on 5.3.1991. Whatever talks took place were conveyed by him on telephone to Kittu. Kasi Anandan has also deposed that at Delhi he stayed at Ashok Yatri Niwas and Sachidanandam had also come along with him. He gave a letter to Rajiv Gandhi. Original photocopy of the letter given by Kasi Anandan to Shri Rajiv Gandhi is placed at Annexure M-91. Thus, it would appear that on these aspects there was substantial corroboration of his statement from the interrogation report which was sent by the S.I.B., Madras through computer fax message No.622/91 dated 8.7.1991.

Report No. 26 dated 4.7.1990 narrates the meeting of Natesan with Shri M. Karunanidhi on 2.7.1990. Shri Karunanidhi reiterated his commitment to clear the coast to help transportation of medicines to Jaffna coast but for facilitating transport of explosives, he expressed reservations in the immediate future. While expressing happiness for receipt of the personal letter from Prabhakaran, he pointed out that the letter to the Prime Minister looked like a press release and very vague.

He informed that he had consulted the Union Railway Minister also and suggested to Natesan to obtain another letter for the Prime Minister specifying the requirements. He, however, disclosed that he was planning to send a letter to the Prime Minister strongly recommending the supply of arms and ammunition to the LTTE. From this report, it would appear that Natesan had brought two letters for help from both the Governments; one in the name of Shri M. Karunanidhi and the other in the name of Shri V.P. Singh. But from the report, it appears that the letter for Shri V.P. Singh was not to be delivered to the Prime Minister for the reason of it being in the nature of press release, and a fresh letter was to be brought for him.

Report No. 36 dated 3.9.1990 speaks of Kasi Anandan meeting Shri Karunanidhi on 1.9.1990 twice and the Home Secretary Shri Nagarajan was also present during the second meeting. According to this report, Shri Karunanidhi suggested to float a rehabilitation organisation with himself and Natesan as office bearers for the channelisation of funds.(Annexure M-63(xxii)

Report No. 46 records meeting of Sachidanandam with the Chief Minister on 19.12.1990. He was informed by the Chief Minister for deportation of all Sri Lankan militants but his firm stand was that he would not do so and he gave out that the second phase of action would be taken by the Centre directly. So, the LTTE cadres should be cautious in future. (Annexure M-63(xxix)

There was information from some senior official to Kasi Anandan on 20.12.1990 that no LTTE cadre would be deported to Sri Lanka.

Report No. 48 speaks of Kasi Anandan having received information in advance of the arrival of Central para-military forces to the State in the wake of dismissal of the DMK Government, and Kasi Anandan therefore alerted the LTTE militants in Madras to scatter in order to avoid a swoop on them.(Annexure M-63 (xxxi)

Report No. 20 is about Natesan meeting Shri M. Karunanidhi on 26.6.1990 and Shri Karunanidhi indicated his willingness to offer aid to the injured LTTE cadres coming to Tamil Nadu for treatment. He also offered to keep certain routes cleared for their movement to and fro. It is in this report that Padmanabha and Varadaraja Perumal were branded as betrayers. (Annexure M-63(xi)

As regards registration of LTTE cadres, Shri Karunanidhi expressed that it would not be applicable to the LTTE cadres staying in Tamil Nadu. Kasi Anandan deposed that LTTE had rented houses in Madras.

On several other aspects, the statement of Kasi Anandan gets corroboration from the reports and other evidence on record. He has deposed about the presence of wireless communication bases, presence of LTTE leaders in Madras during IPKF operations, his visit to Trichy and raiding of the house at Thillainagar by the Police in which he was let off and other LTTE boys were arrested. He has named two important LTTE cadres, one, Kumar who was succeeded by Irumborai.

The statement of Kasi Anandan contradicts the statement of Shri Karunanidhi on several important aspects. About his relations with the DMK Party and Shri Karunanidhi, Kasi Anandan deposed that earlier when there was violence in Sri Lanka, he used to meet Shri Karunanidhi and convey what transpired between him and Shri Karunanidhi. There was change in the attitude of Shri Karunanidhi during the Chandra Shekhar Government and the accusation was that Shri Karunanidhi was having links with the LTTE at that time.

Kasi Anandan has deposed that when Shri V.P.Singh was the Prime Minister and Shri Karunanidhi was the Chief Minister, LTTE had very friendly relations with Shri Karunanidhi and during that period of Shri Karunanidhi as Chief Minister, movement of LTTE in Tamil Nadu was more free. About local Administration also he deposed that local Administration was friendly to the LTTE in Tamil Nadu. LTTE was able to communicate from Jaffna to Tamil Nadu. All the Governments including Karunanidhi Government were helping the LTTE and their boats remained unchecked.

From the statement of Kasi Anandan, thus, it would appear that the State machinery including the Chief Minister, were helping and supporting the LTTE. Kasi Anandan has been very categorical that LTTE used to communicate from Jaffna to Tamil Nadu and the Central Government and the State Government were helping the LTTE and their boats remained unchecked. That implies that LTTE was in a position to transport all supplies from Tamil Nadu to Jaffna, according to the requirements, including arms, ammunition and explosives.

Even Shri V.P. Singh's statement lends credence to the IB reports when he deposed that there was a request of help for supply of arms and also for providing medical relief and treatment to the injured cadres. The matter was referred to Shri I.K. Gujral, Minister for External Affairs. In connection with obtaining help from the Central Government for supply of arms, Shri V. Gopalaswamy was acting on behalf of the LTTE at the behest of Natesan.

The veracity of the IB reports is thus established and the same finds corroboration on some subjects from the statements of Shri V.P. Singh and Shri Kasi Anandan. Thus, Kasi Anandan's statement is very material in examination of the question of connivance of Shri Karunanidhi and his administrative and police machinery.

Treatment of Injured Cadres in Tamil Nadu

61 As the protracted hostilities between the LTTE and Sri Lankan Armed Forces in Jaffna peninsula became increasingly violent, medical treatment of their injured cadres became a priority for the LTTE in order to sustain the momentum of their resistance. Even after the assassination of Padmanabha, the boat movements of the LTTE between the Jaffna coast and Tamil Nadu continued unabated mainly owing to the public proclamation of the State Government that they would allow the injured cadres of LTTE to take treatment in Tamil Nadu - a reassurance of which was given to the LTTE by Shri Karunanidhi subsequent to the Padmanabha assassination as well.

In this endeavour, the LTTE was fully supported by V. Gopalaswamy, who provided them cover and even arranged for transportation of LTTE cadres in DMK party vehicles. Available reports indicate that Shri V. Gopalaswamy was arranging cars which were kept at the disposal of LTTE at Tiruchirapalli to transport their cadres. Reports also indicate that the cars arranged by Shri V. Gopalaswamy used to fly DMK party flag so that they were not detained by the police at the check posts. In one instance, on June 29, LTTE cadres travelling in one such car with a DMK party flag, were intercepted at a check post along Thanjavur coast. A State Government employee, Adaikalam, who was reportedly accompanying them, intervened and got the car through.

Reports of this period (Annexure M-105) indicate that the Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu had agreed to extend facilities for treatment of injured LTTE cadres in the Thanjavur Medical College Hospital. The traditional places of treatment patronised by the LTTE in the State appear to be Vikram Hospital, Erode, Gokulam Hospital, Salem and Dr. Bala's Nursing Home in Madurai. Intelligence reports suggest that some cadres with eye injuries were getting treatment at Arvind Hospital, Madurai.



Mail Us Copyright 1998/2009 All Rights Reserved Home